Sunday, February 6, 2011

Silenced

I'm not sure if I have enough words to adequately describe the weather of this past week.  Something tells me that "abominable ice storm" may be sufficient.

For two days, we were blasted with rain, freezing rain, sleet, drizzly rain, snow and more rain. And it all froze. Every blessed time; it froze.  Power lines were stressed and broken with the newly incurred pounds of ice.  Cable lines were down.  Schools were closed and our county was declared a "State of Emergency."

Throughout all of the turmoil our county and so many others incurred, we were fortunate that we were able to persevere.  We were without cable, phone lines and internet service for a few days and we did just fine.  We drove 20 miles under the speed limit at times and inched along slippery walkways and we managed. 

In times like these, it reminds me to appreciate all of the things that sometimes get overlooked on a regular day.  A husband who calls to check that I made it to work safely.  A babysitter who is more than accommodating when I drop off an extra kid when the schools are closed.  And my kids; seeing their tired faces after investing so many long hours of playing with their friends that they seem to forget to greet me when I get home.  Even that is okay with me - it tells me that they enjoyed their day. 

I'm pretty sure this isn't the last blast that Old Man Winter has in store for us, but I am also pretty sure that we'll be able to handle whatever comes our way.  It's a good feeling knowing the Lord is present in our lives and that He is carrying us through no matter what our outside elements are pouring down upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment