Thursday, January 26, 2012

Angels and Super Heroes

Every day this week has seemed to overstay it's welcome, at least between the hours of 8-5pm.  Point being, it's been a long week.

After a full day at work on Tuesday, I was driving home, taking my typical back roads route to avoid some lights and traffic and one of my biggest fears became reality: my brakes in my truck went out.  As in brake pedal to the floor, no stopping, coasting and sliding and losing control. And to make matters worse, all of this commotion happened as I was approaching a stop sign as a pedestrian was crossing the street. While I was only going about 35 mph before trying to stop, I swear that it was going to take a miracle for me to not hit him. 

Within seconds of realizing that my brakes went out, 2 warning signals alerted in my truck, I waved my arm frantically for the man to get out of the way as he looked in my direction and in that instant, my engine shut down and my vehicle came to a stop, sparing the man's life and my own.

The thing about taking back roads from my downtown office is that they don't happen to fall in the most pleasant end of town.  With my fingers shaking, I frantically dialed Eric and discovered that he was less than 10 minutes away from my location.  He stayed on the phone with me until we were in sight of one another and that's the first time I remember breathing since I had left work.

One thing I failed to mention is that this wasn't a typical day.  Eric had a late meeting which meant that I was on my way to pick up the kids, otherwise he would have been home with them. If this would have happened on a typical day, he would have been home and had to load up the kids and drive 20 minutes to rescue me.  AND, if this was typical January weather, there would have been 2 feet of snow on the ground, it would have been about 10 degrees out and my truck would have continued to slide on the ice and slush on the road.

Today was by no means, typical.

Eric was able to drive my truck into a vacant lot and waited with me until the tow truck arrived and we could get on our way. The kids had been happy and safe at the sitters house all the while.  When I went to pick them up, I told them how their Daddy was a super hero and how he came to rescue me. Lincoln was more interested in knowing if Eric donned a cape and boots for such an occasion.

Out of all the things that could have gone horribly wrong that evening given the circumstances, God was in control.  I was able to drive Eric's truck to work the next day while mine was being repaired and everything worked out without incident.  What an amazing testimony to recognize such a blessing on such a fateful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment