Let me take you back to last weekend. Easter weekend. The holiday we look forward to for hosting our family at our house and cramming Easter baskets full of goodies.
We seemed to be off to a good start. Though my brother's family wasn't able to come, both sets of grandparents arrived early in the afternoon to enjoy the day together. Late into the evening, everyone scattered to the bedrooms knowing that we would be racing the clock for Easter service the next morning. (that would be 8 people out of the house by 9:00 a.m.) Elaina was designated to share our bed in order to accommodate the sleeping arrangements. Little did I know to expect my Darling Girl to be such a snoring machine. Since I wasn't able to fall asleep next to her, I moved into my snuggly, little boy's bed. And, little did I know to expect an hour after I'd fallen asleep, Lincoln began to cough. A cackly, croupy, barky cough. The child continued to cough relentlessly for the next 4 hours. I'm pretty sure I tried every trick in the book to ease his cough to no avail.
Church became out of the question for both Lincoln and myself since we hadn't any sleep and I wasn't sure where we stood on him being contagious. And as if it weren't enough that my boy was suffering a relentless cough, I couldn't peel myself out of bed after only sleeping a combined total of about 4 hours. I so much regret missing the kids find their Easter baskets, my darling girl beaming in her new dress and sharing our church service with both sets of grandparents.
I'd like a do-over.
And just for the sake of complaining just a little bit more, I discovered the reason that Lincoln was like the Energizer Bunny on RedBull despite sleeping just a short time was due to the medication I had been giving him. Apparently, it turned him into a little firecracker while I was the one who made a double iced coffee and nursed my sleep-deprived, zombie-self for much of the day.
I wouldn't doubt that the next nice weather day that comes by, I may just dress both of my kids up in their Easter Sunday clothes for the sake of having a spring picture of them looking cute together. And it wouldn't even surprise me if I might happen to hide some random plastic eggs one last time before they get put up in the attic for the year. That is - if I don't get an Easter do-over; grandparents and all. Still crossing my fingers for that to happen.
I'm sorry Easter was such a flop - we've had holidays go like that before and it is such a disappointment.
ReplyDelete