I signed Lincoln up for pre-kindergarten today.
School.
For my baby. Because even when he's 30, he'll still be my baby.
Lincoln is excited and would like to go on the school bus tomorrow. And as much as he is my baby, I am excited for him as well. Some days I feel as though he gets into some trouble at the babysitter's house because he is bored. When the weather doesn't allow for them to get outside, I can tell that he gets restless and tired of the monotony of staying inside day after day.
I know my son is bright, caring and capable of learning. I also know that he doesn't show it in the same way that as his sister - as we are accustom to. Lincoln's temperament is more challenging. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and reacts more defiantly and more immediately than the situation calls for. He can be demanding and oppositional and at times, he's just down right unpleasant. Like I said - he's got a different temperament, for sure.
But then there are times that he lays down his guard and he is loving and sweet and funny. When you remind him that his words need to be nicer, he immediately complies. He's very complex.
My hope for him starting school is that he will grow. I want for him to grow within himself to discover more how to get along with other kids and follow adult directions. I want to see some maturity set in and accountability. I realize this seems like I'm asking a lot - some adults don't even seem to possess these qualities. What I'm asking for is him to be exposed to these attributes for him to use as a launching pad. Although he is still only little - I know that Lincoln is capable of big things. I can't wait to see what his future holds. School can't seem to get here soon enough for the both of us.
Oh I think school will go well for Lincoln. You should share these hopes with his teacher! I think he will have an easier time finding his way in the world with such a supportive mother. :-)
ReplyDelete