Thursday, January 6, 2011

P.T. - Life with a boy

Innocent and sweet.  "Mom, I wanna go on da potty train. Please Mom, please." - Lincoln, age 2 1/2

I love that kid.

It's funny to me that when a baby boy lands in your lap everyone who has had kids seems to make the make the universal comment "boys are so much different from girls."  Sure.  And as a new parent of a "boy" you're willing to accept just about anything that rolls your way.  Until it's time to potty train the boy.

We started the process when Lincoln was nearing age 3 only to find that in no way was he ready.  So obviously Not- Ready that we halted our efforts almost entirely. The seasons changed and along about summertime, (and months after turning 3) we decided that it was time for Lincoln to learn about big-boy underwears* as he liked to call them.

August was our biggest month to push potty training and finally this month, I can most assuredly say that Lincoln is potty trained.  I'd refer to the past 2 months as "mostly potty trained" but this month just feels safer to say that the process is complete!

As Lincoln is only months away from turning 4, we still rely on diapers for napping (precaution) and diapers at nighttime.  But I have to admit that every time I'm in the store, my cart can't pass up the baby aisle - just to see if there's anything baby that we need.  I have to admit that I will always have a secret kind of love for the smell of clean diapers; fresh from the package.  And the crispy, crinkley noise that scoots along with a freshly diapered babe will always make me swoon for another little crawler of my own.  But overall, I am thrilled with the independence that age 3 and 5 brings to our family.

Yes, boys are so much different from girls and I couldn't be happier that our little family has gotten to experience both.

No comments:

Post a Comment