Tonight was better. Kids were more cooperative, Mom didn't lose her mind (or her patience) before 7:00 and Eric was home to co-pilot the bedtime endeavor.
As I lay in Lincoln's bed after our books are read and faces are kissed, I felt instantly exhausted. Like the kind of exhausted that generally strikes about midnight when I'm trying desperately to check off my mental to-do list. Not the kind of exhausted you would expect at 8:30 at night.
The more I began to ponder the consequences of me going to bed before 9:00, the more I thought about how tired I always feel when the kids' bedtime rolls around. When I put Elaina to bed, I have been known to nod off for a short period of time also. She is like a cozy, little, sleeping pill. Just like when she was a baby. Very relaxing and comfortable.
Lincoln, on the other hand, is quite opposite. I do feel tired when I lay with him after we read books together, but the reason I feel beat-down-tired is because he has zapped all my energy from me. He uses my energy to get himself amped up to stay awake for hours after we put him to bed. The little Turdlette will stay in his bed and play and not let himself fall asleep.
This equation would then pretty much explain our mornings; Elaina is (generally) very much of a morning person. It doesn't take much for her to fall asleep and it doesn't take her long to perk up in the morning. Lincoln; doesn't ease into sleep very well and is MOST definitely NOT a morning person. It takes him a LONG time to rev up to start his day.
So there! I finally put my finger on it! Not particularly useful since I can't change either one of them, but it's something! Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment